I've always enjoyed camping, and I've always thought Airstreams looked cool. About a year ago, contemplating vacationing, traveling, and camping with my as-yet-unborn daughter, I decided that there might be a better way for me and my family to camp, rather than using tents. I began some general research about travel trailers, and vintage aluminum travel trailers, and then, specifically, Airstreams.
During a Web search one day about 6 months ago, I happened on a website called www.airforums.com . After reading through all of the threads where people had performed amazing, full frame-up restorations on these vintage coaches, with some beautiful results, I became hooked. My wife would call it "obsessed." I knew I had to have one.
After six months of passive searching, I entered a period of almost six months of active searching. Every day I began scanning Craigslist, ebay, vintage trailer sites, and the local ads. I also narrowed my search to a particular size that I thought was best suited to my family's needs, and a particular era that had the most pleasing aesthetics for my taste.
Finally, through the AirForums, I found a trailer for sale that met all of my criteria, and the seller was willing to meet me partway in order to minimize the travel time required to recover the unit.
So now, I am the proud owner of a 1963 Airstream Overlander. And on the pages of this blog, I intend to document my renovation progress. From other Airstream blogs I've been reading, I know that this will be a lengthy, expensive, time-consuming, and strenuous task. But I also know that it can be incredibly rewarding.
So, wish me luck, and come back any time you like to read my progress.
Airstream Airbnb - Miss Penelope
2 years ago

2 comments:
Word has spread like wildfire that you've found your trailer! Congratulations! Start planning for CBR, I'll meet you there. I hope to have beds and a bathroom by then, but if I don't I'll be aluminum tenting it. I'm looking forward to hanging with you and your family, so get to work!
Thanks John, I would love to meet you and your family. CBR is on the calendar, and I definitely have my work cut out for me to be eady by then.
I follow your blog every week, and you're making fantastic progress. I have no doubt you'll be ready in time for CBR!
Post a Comment