Sunday, September 20, 2009

Another Shakedown Cruise

A little bit over a year ago, I took my Airstream out for a shakedown cruise just after I bought it. Now, 13 months of time and nine months of hard labor later, I took it out again, after finally having the entire rear end put back together.

The destination, a parking lot in downtown Austin. The event, the University of Texas versus Texas Tech football game tailgate party.

Because it was in a parking lot with no hookups of any kind, we got to do our first bit of completely dry camping in the Airstream. We were boondocking in the middle of the City, and the water, waste, and generator-powered electrical systems worked out perfectly.

Getting set to go on a Walkabout:


Hanging out watching some of the other games on TV:



Daughter on a doorstep:


Daddy daycare:


Big blowup Bevo:


Baby's first football game:


We had a great weekend, and it was so nice to be able to retreat to the Airstream to take care of our family during the tailgate party. This is DEFINITELY the way to tailgate, I'm a believer!

Oh, and Texas won the game too. Hook 'em Horns!

8 comments:

Aluminium Idler said...

Great family pics, Marcus. Your daughter is the perfect size for that step too. And congratulations on Dylan - you now have what in the UK we call a 'Pigeon Pair', one of each (I do too).
I've spent the summer under canvas (hence lack of posting) but hope to be riveting the 53FC back together soon. Good to see the Overlander braving the untamed wilds of Austin - tomorrow the world !
- Chris

Steve "Dancin" Hansen said...

Great looking family you've got there, Marcus. Congrats on the new arrival! I watched the Texas/Texas Tech game on TV and am surprised that they didn't show you guys in the parking lot tailgating your butts off with an Airstream.

Send some Karma up my way, the Gophers have a new outdoor stadium but had their lunch handed to them by Cal.

TomW said...

That's great you were able to get out so soon with your new baby. Fantastic pictures, too.

I hope you plan to post more about the generator - I'm curious.

Tom

utee94 said...

Chris-- Thanks, I love the "pigeon pair" colloquialism, I'll be sure to use it! Glad you at least got outside somehow over the Summer, and I'm certain you'll get the FC back together soon.

Steve-- Did you hear? The Horns and Gophers have inked a home-and-home deal for the years 2015 and 2016. I think it will be a great series, I might even try to make it up there to see that beautiful new outdoor stadium. That is, as long as the game is played in early September! :) I don't do Winter...

Tom-- Yes, a generator post will be forthcoming, I thought you particularly might be interested. :)

RG Coleman said...

Hey, I like that flagpole thing. Is that welded on to the hitch, or what? Did it come with?
Tailgating is one of the top five uses for an Airstream.

Aluminium Idler said...

Marcus - FYI, t'other day I found out the reason for the 'Pigeon Pair' colloquialism: Pigeons normally only lay one egg but if ever they do lay two, they are always different sexes. Enjoy those pigeons.

Greg Dvorak said...

Great work, Marcus. Having seen the Airstream in person, I can attest his hard work really paid off. Your generator is definitely not as loud as my 1972 Onan.

And I guess I better get off my rear and update my blog...sigh.

nmbosa said...

Marcus, congratulations on the new arrival. Looks like you all had a great time at the game. Did you catch any of the UW v. USC game? Sure was nice to finally catch a win against a serious opponent.
- Norm