Saturday, September 6, 2008

Overkill

This morning I woke up and took a look at my indoor/outdoor thermometer:




This means that the temperature outside is only 73 degrees, and is actually cooler than the temperature inside the house. This is the first time we've experienced this in, oh I don't know, about FOUR MONTHS???


So I decided to get some Airstream work done. On my shakedown cruise, the one bad thing that happened was that the top awning bracket mount at the front of the coach came off. It had ripped through the skin, and after taking a look at it, I could see that this was at least the 3rd time this had happened.

I don't like things ripping through the aluminum skin on my Airstream, and I sure as heck don't like the thought of the awning flying off at freeway speeds, gashing huge chunks out of the side of the trailer and clattering down the highway, potentially endangering someone else. So I decided to create a sturdy patch out of aluminum, affix it to the outside skin of the trailer over those holes, and then re-mount the awning bracket. I cleaned up the opening, drilled out those two rivets that were plugging a previous "rip-out event," and then fashioned a patch.

And this is where I might have gone into Overkill mode a bit. I don't want to repeat this again, so I ordered a piece of 0.050 2024 T3 aluminum. The original thickness of the exterior skin is only 0.032, but I wanted the patch to be made of stronger stuff. Now that isn't really overkill, but then I decided to rivet this small patch with 20 rivets. Being a riveting novice, this seemed like the right amount to me. After I told Frank about it, his only comment was, "that might have been too much." But like I said, I don't want to re-do this!

I also might have gone Overkill on the Vulkem too, but I don't want it to leak...

After some clean-up:


And now with the awning bracket re-mounted to it:




It's great to be able to deploy the awning, but the old one is really tattered now.


Darn good thing my previous owners, Terry and then Cat, saw fit to pass along some new awning fabric. Hopefully I can get that installed tomorrow, and then the awning project will be called "complete."

4 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

Yes, half the rivets would have done the same thing. Looks good, nice clean job. You should be proud .
don't let Andy see those axles...

the byamcaravanner said...

Just so I have this right. The cool striped material on the trailer now is that awning you are keeping and that ugly gradiated stuff is the material you are disposing of? This is a 60's trailer you bought right? For a minute I thought I had entered the twilight zone.

utee94 said...

Thanks Frank, and I'm definitely hiding the axles from Andy's critical eye!

Steve-- the striped awning that is on it is very torn and tattered, you just can't tell from the pictures. The awning on the ground is the one that will eventually be on the trailer. I understand that it doesn't really fit the vintage of the trailer, but it's free, and Free = Good. One day, when it's in the budget, I'll replace with something more vintage.

-Marcus

Frank Yensan said...

tough crowd, eh?