


In the comments on the previous post, Steve asked about how things in the camper worked out for us. One of the best things about buying a vintage Airstream that's in this good of a condition is that I get the chance to use it before taking it apart for some of the necessary repairs and upgrades.
For this trip, we put the baby in a pack'n'play up in the front lounge area, and we slept on the twins amidships. I must say, both Mary and I were surprised and delighted with how comfortable those mattresses were. Ultimately, I plan to remove the front gaucho (futon-type sofa-bed) and replace it with a custom-built wrap-around dinette. The table of the dinette will drop and become a platform for a large bed, likely a bit narrower than a queen. That is where we will sleep once that is done, and the center twins will be used for children/friends, etc. Mary also had a great idea for increasing the bed-size of the center twins without sacrificing any storage, so I'll probably implement that when I make changes to the bathroom and bedroom this Winter. More to come on that in this blog, in a few months' time.
The galley worked really well. We could use more counter space like most other people I'm sure, but part of our problem was that we just don't have everything organized yet. We'll get better at it, and we'll be able to utilize more efficiently the space that we have. But I was very pleased with the oven and the stove, and the sink as well. We used water VERY sparingly, not knowing what the capacity of the holding tanks would translate into in terms of usage. Next trip, we can afford to be a little more liberal, but we still have to watch it.
And, since Steve asked explicitly-- For the head, I reserved it only for liquids for this trip, never having used a dump station before and not knowing what all it would entail. For future trips, if we need to do more there then we can, but in cases where we have campground restroom facilities, I intend to use those as much as possible.
Overall, I'm really pleased with the way we were able to use the trailer. During the torrential downpour of rain we received Saturday afternoon/evening, I can't even describe how great it felt to be able to keep my family, and my friend's family, safe, warm, and dry inside the trailer. It was a great feeling, and one that is tough to experience inside a tent under the same conditions.
Tomorrow I'll be working on the awning, and hopefully I'll get a chance to install the great Texas patch that Frank sent me. I'll update with another post after that happens.

8 comments:
Galley... you are right, there is never enough space. The space limitations make it necessary to cook in shifts and prepare carefully the items needed for the entire meal. I enjoy cooking in my galley. I enjoy having people over for meals too and the challenge of putting it out there, for a group, out of that little kitchen is a blast.
Black tank... You need to practice how a few time and then it will be easy. You change diapers... you come in much closer contact there than through the stinky slinky. A Hydroflush like this, http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/25952.htm makes clean up a piece of cake.
Connect everything up with all valves closed. Turn on the water and pull the valve. It shoots water up into the tank and helps bring the more solid items out. Then reverse the procedure. I often shut it all down, then fill the bowl 4 or 5 times with water to get some volume in the tank again. I then repeat the entire procedure. Make sure you let clear water flow through all the hoses after the valve is closed. and rinse everything well. Drain it all too before stowing it away.
Use water when you use the throne and use enzyme too. Those two items will insure things flow out when you dump. The wrong thing to do is to not use water when you flush. Also RV toilet paper... costs too much, but breaks down rapidly. You want things to flow... remember flow.
Boy, I can't hope to see the changes...make sure to post lots of pictures so we can all copy your great work!
Marcus,
Thanks for the "intimate" details. I'm always interested in how others actually use their trailers. I have found that the options are many and with a little creative thinking the inhabitants can be remarkably comfortable... even with large numbers in close quarters.
As your daughter gets older, you will definately have to put yourselves between her and the door... those young WBCCI boys will be prowling after the old folks are sacked out ;-)
Thanks for the photos of you and your family... Looks as though you're all from hearty stock and will stand up to the rigors of the Airstream life LOL!
Chuck-- I'll be sure to post some pictures, though how "great" the work turns out is yet to be seen. Glad to hear you're healing up, sorry your tumble turned out to be such a bad one.
Steve-- "Hearty Stock?" Are you calling me fat? Sheesh, tough crowd...
Tough crowd... of course! We're talking Airstreamers. You're hanging with best of the best now and you appear to be up to the task. ;-} Now you need to toughen up your daughter. Do like Frank did with his little one and push her out of the Airstream door a few times. She'll land on her head and be tough as a Marine by the time she hits two. She'll thank you down the road when she is going toe to toe with the IBT folks because they won't let her fly her UT flag.
Really? - Just a healthy happy family. :-)
Marcus,
What a cute family! Great idea to use your trailer a bit before the renovations. I am longing to go in ours instead of borrowing our friends! When we do get the pleasure of camping with you, keep in mind that we have a very dependable 13 year old daughter who loves babysitting little girls (just ask Frank). I guess she may be 14 by the time we see you!
Give your wife my warm regards,
Kelly Klohn (Steve's wife)
Marcus - RV toilet paper? Money wasted, Scotts single ply IS THE SAME THING, for a lot less $$. Just use spareingly, and make sure to keep a stock of toilet chemical & use it with a couple of gallons of water after every dump. In time, you'll become more comfortable using the toilet for all "needs" & not be so concerned with the park's facilities.
Your pics are great! We are restoring a '68 Overlander and a '58 Carravanner(although Frank would beg to differ on that one). It's adictive thats for sure!
Post a Comment