Thursday, August 14, 2008

RTFM, The Money Shot, and The Airstream Spirit

So in my last post, I mentioned how I looked all over the place for a part that I didn't need. Frank admonished me because if I had followed the manufacturer's instructions to the letter, then I would never have thought that I needed any EXTRA sealant, and I would have known that the manufacturer recommended using their pre-attached gasket only.

That's fair enough, although in my defense I had several knowledgeable folks telling me BEFORE-HAND to make sure I used plenty of sealant. So let this be a lesson to all of you:

RTFM

I'll be the first to admit that I am a complete novice at major renovation/restoration projects like this, and I have no ego tied up in it. I take everything as a learning experience. So Frank, you're right. Next time, I'm reading the manual and following the directions.

ANYWAY, on to more interesting things. After my last post, I had a few people ask me for pictures of the margaritas. I did not have any pictures then, but here's one from tonight:

Also, after my last post, I was informed by several people that I had missed "The Money Shot." I had neglected to show any wide-angle pictures of the trailer with the new low-profile AC on top. I have the trailer in my tiny driveway in front of my tiny house, so wide shots are difficult and don't look that good, but let's try it anyway:

See, you can barely see the low-profile AC!
Now I'd like to talk about something that Frank calls "The Airstream Spirit." This is the sense of camraderie and solidarity that Airstreamers around the world feel. It's about helping out fellow Airstreamers in need, not with any expectation of payback, but because it's the right thing to do.

When Frank found out that I had about a 3/4" hole in my front door where apparently a previous owner (not Terry! ;-) ) had once placed a large brass knocker, he was sad for me--


So out of the kindness of his heart and without me asking for it (or even knowing it was being fabricated and shipped to me), Frank made me a very special patch. I couldn't wait to show it off so here it is, but it will look even better when it is mounted to my front door. I wonder if I will be the only Airstreamer in the world with a patch of this shape?


And when Rob Baker of the VAP fame (http://www.thevap.com/) found out that I was missing a vent cover:

He immediately sent me one that he just happened to have:

I am convinced that Rob has one of everything on the planet, including the most beautiful Sovereign Of The Road to ever exist.

And of course I've already mentioned Rick, who sent me the furnace heat diffuser that is to be used in an as-yet-undisclosed project.

So I think you can see why I hold Airstreamers in such high regard. The Airstream Spirit is a sight to behold!

Finally, from Rob Baker, I also ordered and received my new 5-pole flagpole holder. He has these made up by a welder friend of his in 3-pole, 5-pole, and a new experimental 7-pole variety. He sells them, but considering the quality of materials and construction, I don't think he makes any profit off of them. They're rock-solid, heavy, sturdy, and their aluminum bodies will even polish up beautifully for those who go for that sort of thing. Anyway, if you want one, you can check out his blog at http://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com/ and contact him.

Here's a pic of the dry-fit of mine--



And here's another "money shot!"

I'll be sure to post some better daylight shots from my shake-down cruise this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your "Money Shot" of the front of your trailer covered in flags!! Just don't get no cooler than that. Life's good!
Jim