Been working late most nights this week, so I didn't have a chance to work on the trailer until yesterday and today. The next thing on the list was to bolt the plywood subfloor down to the steel frame, so that's what I did. I was working alone, so not too many pictures. I currently have all of the floor-to-frame bolts in, most of the floor-to-j-channel bolts in, and some of the j-channel to floor screws in. No pictures of those screws, I'll put them in my next post.
The elevator bolts have a 1/4" shank and have a very wide, flat head, 1" wide. They must be countersunk into the wood on the topside. I used the existing holes in the old frame cross members, and pre-drilled new holes in the new steel x-members before the floor went in. Since there is a bottom flange on the x-members (and the new steel is c-channel so the bottom flange is even larger), the bolts must be drilled at an angle. I drilled up from below with a 1/4" bit, and then drilled out the top side with a 1" Forstner bit for the countersink. Then I dropped a bolt through from the top.

A lock washer and nut on the bottom side, tighten it down.

And then bend it so that the nut can't back down. Just as the factory did it on the original subfloor 46 years ago.

Do this 40-something times, and you get this:

The shot above even has a sneak preview of my final top flooring. It's 12" x 12" VCT (vinyl composition tile)-- the same stuff you see in supermarkets, hospitals, and schools. Not only is it nearly indestructible, but it is about as close as you can get these days to the original 9"x9" VAT (vinyl asbestos tile) that was used on many vintage Airstreams of that era, including mine. The pattern is updated, but the product is quite similar.
Here's a closer view:

Also thought I'd put in a shot of the gray tank. I had to cut off a couple of the ebolts from below, right at the nut, so that the long shaft of the bolts did not interfere with the gray tank as it slides into its resting place inside the c-channel frame x-member. I put a little permanent loc-tite on those bolts since I can't bend them, but it should hold without it since the tank will be there to prevent the nuts from backing down.

That's it for today.

6 comments:
Marcus,
Thanks for the picts... nice feeling of accomplishment, huh?
Do you have the perimeter screws in yet? That is a time consuming job.
Floor tiles look good... cooler tone than I like, but I know you have a vision for the complete package.
Steve
Thanks Steve. I think you will like my design vision once it all comes together.
I have some of the perimeter channel screws in, but not all of them. With the bolts in place, it doesn't take TOO long. I should be able to finish during evenings this week, and call it complete before the weekend.
-Marcus
You're making great progress. Feels good, huh? So tell me, how do the tiles adhere? Are they peel and stick or is there an adhesive used?
Hi Brad,
The tiles are not peel 'n' stick. They use a specific adhesive that is applied over the subfloor with a very fine notched trowel, and then allowed to dry until "tacky." That is when the tiles are applied.
It's similar in application to contact cement, but you don't have to apply adhesive to both mating surfaces, and the bond is not instantaneous so you do have at least some chance to move the tiles around if it's not set correctly at first.
Or so I've read-- this will be my first experience with the product. :)
-Marcus
Congrats, Marcus, on the progress. I like the tiles. Give me a ring if there is any sudden hour or two where having an extra hand will make a difference. At worst, I say that I cannot make it right then but you never know.
Hey - I recognize that song..."a warm south wind runs through and through and still I think of you. In my heart there's only you." A song that dances in my head when I'm working on my Queen of Hearts.
Post a Comment