Yes, both of you, Mom AND Dad!
But that doesn't mean I haven't gotten some work done. After he found out that my Airstream had suffered some damage in a recent hail storm here in Austin, my buddy Frank sent me a lens cover for a marker light that was shattered by the hail. This is all that was left:

And then the package arrived from Frank's Trailer Works:
And, installed:
Thanks Frank!
But then I just noticed this one is busted too, not sure how I missed it:

And also, the refrigerator vent cover has a couple of holes in it. I was so worried about the A/C and astradome, that I didn't notice these other issues. Oh well, there will always be more repairs and modifications to make.
For my next modification, I decided to ditch the old hard-wired 110VAC 30A power cord and its associated gnarly, beat-up storage hatch door, and install a stainless steel Marinco power inlet instead.

I test-drilled a piece of scrap aluminum to see how my hole saw handled it, and to make sure it was the right size for the power inlet:


And then I had to do the most terrifying thing I have yet attempted during this long renovation-- I had to cut a gaping 2 3/8" hole through the exterior skin of my trailer!
First I polished the surface a bit since it will be more difficult to polish around when the inlet is installed. Then I drilled a small pilot hole from the outside and checked to make sure I liked the placement on the inside.

Then it was time to do the deed!

(I just realized how funny that picture looks!)
Then I drilled the 4 screw holes and attached the inlet:


And finally, with the last of the exterior skin work complete, it was time to move inside. I have been itching to get the insulation in, and the interior panels installed.

I salvaged as much of the old insulation as I could, and then I used the pink stuff to replace the old insulation that was too dirty and smelly to keep. I know a lot of folks use the Reflectix or other systems, but this was cheap and quick and easy for me, if a bit messy and scratchy...
Clecoed in place:

Then riveted:

And then the same process for the final, center panel:


And, Voila! The interior skins are back in, the shell is put together, and the trailer is finally truly roadworthy for the first time in about 4.5 months. I can't express how fantastic it feels finally to be putting things back into the trailer that have been out for so many months.
Frank says this is the point where so many restorers give up and try to sell their projects. I can certainly understand why.
Anybody want to buy an Airstream....
....ahhh, NO WAY! It's just now getting interesting!

7 comments:
Marcus, I am so sorry Amigo, but no red lenses.... I have a fairly faded amber left, but no red. Those things are fairly cheap at VTS. Just buy a new one and throw away the base. No comment on the Marinco, you know me, I am old school classic, but as long as you like it then you have my full support.
You are moving forward now... I would say you are now about half way to camping.
Looking good!
FWIW, I went with the pink insulation too. To me, there is no measurable return on investment (time or money) in using "space age" insulation materials on a travel trailer.
TomW
Hey Marcus ~
Now the real fun begins, when all that stuff you took out goes back in. I have a red lens for you so send me your address and I'll take care of ya.
Brad
Marcus, you've been doing some very nice work. I've been following your blog for a month or so now and my wife and I recently embarked on our own Overlander adventure. We just bought a 59' International. Keep up the interesting posts.
Norman
I love that marine electrical connector!
you are definitely on the top side of this project.
love the polished interior panels.
congrats on all the progress.
Thanks to everyone for your interest and your kind words.
Frank-- Yes, about 1/2 way. In 4.5 months. Now I have 1 month to go the other 1/2. Gonna be fun for sure!
Tom-- When someone who works for NASA tells you it's okay not to go space-age, then it must be. I feel better knowing you did "the pink stuff" too.
Brad-- Thanks for the offer, I think Marc is going to send me one but I'll let you know. Love the Caravan Scout Truck model by the way!
Norman-- Thanks, glad you're enjoying it, and good luck on your own reno. I love the Overlander models, and 59 was a great year for them.
Paul-- Glad you liked it, and thanks for the encouragement!
-Marcus
OK Marcus, you have a month left and it has been four days...I expect your entire bathroom to be installed by now. Let's see the pics!
Post a Comment