Monday, July 27, 2009

Big Wheel Keep On Turnin

Proud Mary keep on burnin
Rollin, rollin, rollin on the river

Yes, I'm on a roll now. I pulled the wardrobes out of the garage in order to paint the insides today. I would have been happy to leave them natural, but at some point they'd been painted in white latex by a previous owner. So I went ahead and painted them out in a soft, modern green color to match some of the colors I'll be using elsewhere (naturally I don't have any pictures of this).

But, since they were out of the garage, sitting in my driveway, right next to the Airstream... that's right, I just couldn't resist. I had to pull them inside and test-fit them.

This is more of the African ribbon-striped mahogany on the wardrobes. In fact, that's the whole reason I bought the mahogany veneer in the first place. I think they turned out pretty nice, and more importantly, my lovely wife is delighted with it. I think the ribbon stripes give the wardrobes a very tailored and sophisticated look.




They don't quite fit, most likely due to the slight change in floor height from the old 5/8" subfloor, to the new 3/4" subfloor. I'll have to trim down the bottoms a little bit, but that was expected.


Here's a panoramic shot from my iPhone. It's low-res of course, but I like the wide angle view:


I'm really happy with the way the woodworking is turning out. Now, back to work!

5 comments:

pbear said...

Your trailer is really coming together, Marcus. Really like what you're doing.
steve

utee94 said...

Thanks Steve, you're making very good progress as well, I know it's not easy for you.

-Marcus

Greg Dvorak said...

Be careful, Marcus. If you keep that up, it will actually get finished and you will have to spend you time towing it around the state...and camping in it!

Excellent progress!!

Sugarfoot said...

Love that mahogany! It really is elegant.

Anonymous said...

Love the wood tones Marcus, wow, must share on how you finished it to get that consistant color and finish....