Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Love My Momma


A little bit of backtracking here. Much of this work has been done for a while, but for whatever reasons, I didn't have a camera handy, or the trailer was in use and I couldn't get it straightened up enough to take proper pictures. But now, I've taken a little bit of time to finish documenting this bit for everyone.

Back before football season, I had a few items on my punch list to complete in the bedroom in order to gain some privacy. During tailgate parties, I needed to be able to cut out light (and the eyes of curious viewers) from penetrating into the camper while the kids took naps and such. So, what I really needed were some curtains for the bedroom windows, as well as a divider curtain between the bedroom and rear bathroom, to provide some privacy for the loo.

Naturally, I leaned on my sweatshop to deliver the goods, and as usual my Mom did a fantastic job. The material is actually 84" curtain panels from JC Penney's. I found a couple of patterns that I liked and purchased 2 panels of each fabric (on sale, no less!). Two of the panels are used for the room divider curtains, like this:


And the other panels were used to make up the window curtains:


Mom lined the backs of them with black material and they completely black-0ut the light when closed as below:


They are absolutely beautiful and I can't thank my Mom enough for making these for me, especially in the midst of all the other projects she was working on for me at the time!

One other item was critical for football tailgating, especially knowing there would be times when we'd be forced to retreat to the camper to feed or change the kids. But it would be terrible to miss any of the action...

And, of course, it swivels around so it can also be viewed from the galley and front lounge:


But my Mom wasn't finished yet. For my birthday back in December, she went way beyond my expectations and surprised me with throw pillows made from scraps of the various fabrics we used in all of the bedroom textiles.




They have custom piping and they are all double-sided. I love them all, but I have to say my favorites are the ones that are made from woven strips of the faux ostrich leather. Those are just the coolest.

Oh, and keeping up with the theme for my birthday, my parents also gave my a brand new Airstream Bambi!



Thanks so much for everything, Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

TomW said...

Moms are great, no doubt. If I could post a picture here, I would share a vintage picture of my brother, sister & me as small children wearing Easter outfits sewn by my mom.

But since my mom lives too far away for stuff like that, I bought Kim a nice Elna sewing machine early on in our marriage because I thought all girls liked to sew. She smiled sweetly, and agreed it was a nice machine.

When it came time for new curtains for my Overlander Kim had it all under control. She called Mr. Ambruso for the curtains, and the man who does all my trucks’ upholstery for the cushions.

Reminisces aside, your interior looks great, Marcus – Your mom did a great job.

Tom

Aluminium Idler said...

Mums (that's the UK translation), what would we do without them... ?

She's done you proud and I'm sure she's just as proud of you too.

Great interior.

holder310 said...

Wow! Seriously she's a great seamstress!!! Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your Mom does beautiful work. Ask her if she wants to go into the Airstream renovation business. Is that a new tat? I might memorialize my wonderful Mom in the same manner!!

Sugarfoot said...

Moms are so good like that, and your Mom seams (pun intended ;-) to be especially talented!