Saturday, February 20, 2010

Some Winter Camping


Now THIS is why I live in Texas. While my friends like Frank are posting pictures of forlorn, snow-encapsulated Airstreams to their blogs, just dreaming of getting out there and using them, I am able to do as I wish and camp. Last weekend, I went with some friends out to Pedernales Falls State Park. Temperatures were a little cool, overnight lows in the 30s, but the daytime highs were in the upper 60s and into the 70s-- sunny and fabulous.

Naturally, we set up Kitchen Stadium, and what better backdrop than the Overlander?

Dave, Greg, and I cooked, while the women and children played.


Storytime!

Dylan loved being surrounded by the girls.




Walking down to the fishing hole




Mary and McKenzie down by the water


And Dylan too


After all that walking, Dylan needed to take a nap on Superbed


After some R&R, we headed to the Falls. Central Texas has been in the midst of a major, two-year long drought. Just a couple of weeks ago, these Falls were basically dry. But recent rains have filled up the rivers that feed the Highland Lakes, and the Pedernales is ones of those rivers. Lake Travis has risen around 30' in the last four weeks. It sure is nice to see all of this water, in a region that has been desperately starved for it for years.




We had a great time, thanks to Greg and Denise and Dave and Sharon for sharing the weekend with us!

1 comment:

Sugarfoot said...

Marcus, soak up some sun for me, please.

I have winter camping envy. In Chattanooga we can count on ONE HAND how many full days of nice sunshine we've had since January 1.