Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'm Hot-Blooded, Check It And See

Today was much warmer, up into the 70s at my house. Consequently, the adhesive cured much quicker, and I was able to get a lot more done.

The field tiles went in easily, and then it was time to cut the edge tiles.


The process is pretty simple. The tiles are cut easily when hot, so I measure and mark them, then hit them for a few seconds with a heat gun, then cut with either tin snips or a sharp utility knife. I've read that some people just leave the tiles in the oven (on very low heat) to warm them upenough to cut them, and I think that would work well, but I only had a few to do, and they'd also be difficult to handle if they were hot all the way through.

Anyway, once, I measured the wrong way. The measurements have to be transferred to the bottom of the tile, so it came out as a mirror image. The way to correct this is to place the wrong tile back-to-back with a fresh uncut tile, and trace the outline. Then cut the new tile, and voila, problem solved.


And after several hours of work, you end up with a completed floor.





I love the way it looks, and now, I am exhausted, so goodnight now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lou Grahm would be proud of such a nice and professional looking job.

I don't have double vision, and up here it's as cold as ice so I cannot work on the cloud.

Feels like the first time your project is nearing completion.

Steve

Greg Dvorak said...

Holy cow, what a shocking and professional look! Oh wait, that's your wife's line.

70 degrees? How did you get that work done in such a hot environment? Oh wait, that line is for all of the Yankees wishing for 50 degree days.

Great job, Marcus! I really like how it came out and you should be proud of your progress.

Shaka said...

Nice comment Steve and great work Marcus,aka "Dirty White Boy".

I hear you about cutting the edge pcs. I went thru the same learning curve putting in a wood floor. Inverting the cuts can cause Head Games.

Keep up the good work and if you get this finished before Spring Break, you will be a Juke Box Hero!

Let go camping!!

utee94 said...

Thanks guys.

Camping?? What's that? I thought these old rigs were just for renovating and tinkering...

Camping you say????

Aluminium Idler said...

Great looking floor Marcus. Mine's a little way off yet but thanks for your comments on my blog. Enjoy the warmer weather, still a fair bit of snow in the UK.
You'll be camping before me.
Chris

austinmodhouse said...

I love vct. yours looks great!

it must be great seeing things come together

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good Marcus!! When the time comes, will you come teach me?
Jim / Whitsend

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job, Bro! Now I'm all caught up.