After doing some research on the forums, and talking to some floor installation professionals here in Austin, I decided to skim-coat with Ardex before laying down the VCT.

Normally this stuff dries in about 20 minutes, but it's only 50 degrees here today, so it took much longer. I finally decided toget in there with my heat gun to help the process along.

It's tough to see in the photo above because the flash over-exposed, but there are some dark patches, those are the bits that still hadn't dried. But, finally it dried enough for me to sand down any remaning high spots, vacuum and clean with tack cloth yet another time, and then I laid out a row of the tiles for measuring, and started putting down the adhesive.

Nw, due to the low temperature, I am once again waiting, this time for the adhesive to set up. I'll lay the tiles as soon as that's done, and hopefully finish up the rest of the flooring tomorrow, temperatures permitting.

6 comments:
Are those black and white pictures? ...'cause I can't see any color in that tile. ;-)
Patience my friend.... patience. :)
50 Degrees and you Texans complain.
Come join the real cold my friend!!!!
I'm with Soldiermedic on this one.... 50 degrees and you complain? I have been laying on the ground that is 35 degrees working on swapping axles and I thought I had it good. Just a simple question... do they have those new fanged devises called a space heater down there in the Republic? Us yankees use them all the time. You just turn them on and heat comes out of them. Two cheap heaters and you will be sweating in about twenty minutes time. I think you should try one out. Sheesh... 50 degrees, I would love a 50 degree day.
If only you knew how to split wood. Since Ardex is heat resistant, you could have built a fire on top of it to speed things up. :D
I remember when I was at where you are now. Isn't it cool to look around and see a now-smooth floor of generally one color?
Tom
Tom--
Yes, you're exactly right, after a couple of months of seeing moldy rotten wood, or mismatched floor-covering, or no floors at all, it looks great to see it all in, and somewhat matching. In fact my wife walked in and saw the Ardex underlayment and thought it looked great. She said, "it looks so professional." I'm not sure if I should be happy that she liked the underlayment, or ticked off that she sounded so surprised about its "professional" appearance.
And yes, clearly I need to learn how to split wood so that I can properly heat my Airstream. Anyone have one of those... um what do you call 'em... AXES???
Post a Comment