Monday, May 17, 2010

Shine On You Crazy Airstream

The most recent challenge I've tackled has been polishing my trailer. For my faithful blog readers who aren't as familiar with vintage Airstreams (all both of you), the aluminum used on Airstreams up until the early 80s or so, is an alloy that is capable of being polished to a mirror shine. Not all aluminum alloys can do this, and polished to a mirror shine is also NOT how they came from the factory, rather they had more of a flat, mil finish. But, over the years, oxidation sets in, and one way to improve the dull, weathered, gray look of the panels is to polish them.

Of course, as usual I've failed to get adequate "Before" pictures before beginning a major project, so I'll just have to use this one we took at the beach a couple of weeks ago. Aside from featuring my lovely wife and son, it's not a great shot, but it does show the general condition of the skin, which is the standard, dull gray of an unpolished vintage Airstream.


My goal here is not to have the shiniest trailer on the planet-- that takes a ton of initial work and also a lot of regular maintenance. I just wanted to clean up and brighten the look a little bit. There are as many polishes, tools, products, and techniques to perform this task as there are Airstreamers performing this task, but the method that I am using involves using Diamondbrite truck box polish, and my Porter Cable random orbit sander/buffer.

Since nobody picked up a camera to record the actual polishing activity, we'll just skip to the "Afters."




I did take a couple detailed shots of the front lower panel that features the Airstream nameplates and badging. Here's the before:


I removed the badges and cleaned up the small, oval MHMA badge a little bit. Almost two years ago, I had purchased a replacement Airstream nameplate, and I finally had the opportunity to install it.

As you can see, there's still quite a bit of corrosion on this panel, but I think it looks much better than before, and that's what I'm shooting for here.

Overall I've now spent about 17 hours to polish about 85% of the trailer to what I call a "20-foot shine" meaning it looks pretty good from 20 feet. Any closer, and you begin seeing the corrosion, scratches, and scars that remain. I still have some work to do on the rear endcap, and streetside roof panel.

But the nice thing about this polishing method is that it's not very messy. I can polish in normal clothes, without using an apron or goggles or anything else to keep the black powdery aluminum oxide off of me, because none of it escapes the polishing bonnet. So it will be easy to work an extra 30-45 minutes here and there wherever it needs it, and every pass improves the polish to a deeper shine.

But now it is time to prep the trailer for another trip. Shine on...

5 comments:

TomW said...

Your Airstream looks great!

I've got my own "before" pictures in my mind in that I remember what your Overlander looked like when Terry & I were at the same rally. Your hard work is obvious.

My Overlander is four years newer, so I've got a little time before polishing...

Tom

nmbosa said...

That looks great. I'm all about the 20 foot shine. The badges look great too. I really like the MHMA badge. Although something about the term "Mobile Home" doesn't sit so well with my wife as we continue to pour money into this hobby.

Sugarfoot said...

That's impressive. I've been wanting to try that method myself. Those are great results for not having aluminum "grease paint" all over your body at the end.

Aluminium Idler said...

Lovely work Marcus and there's nothing wrong with a 20 yd shine, though I think you'll have to get your lovely wife's finger on your camera's shutter as we need to see the dapper polisher in action.

Shine on indeed & have a great summer.

Chris

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog while poking around the nether regions of the internet. While reading this post I realized that my wife and I have been eyeing your Airstream for some time and keep meaning to walk down the street to chat you up about it. We snagged a '74 Sovereign about a year ago and have been absorbing ideas for restoration and maintenance.

I don't know if this thing will give you my email address when I submit. If it does then shoot me a note so we can meet on the sidewalk and talk Airstreams. Otherwise be on the lookout in the near future for two dorks approaching from the south carrying koozied adult beverages.

-James