Monday, May 31, 2010

More Lake Camping, and a Confession

Last week was officially the Annual BFN Campout, but we had so much fun out at the lake that we kept our spots for another week, through Memorial Day. And this time we did it with even more style, for Catarina has a new addition:



That's right, it's a new "vintage" awning, aka rope and pole awning. But, some may remember that a couple of years ago I made some extensive repairs to the roll-out style awning that came with the trailer. Why would I go buy a new vintage awning when I spent so much time making the other one work?

I'd love to say that the largest reason is that I wanted my trailer to be more period-correct and I felt the vintage awning helped achieve that look. But, mostly, it's because the old one blew off the trailer somewhere between Lockhart, and Corpus Christi, Texas. Not the entire awning mind you, just the roller. The arms were completely intact and in perfect order. I didn't hear or see anything, didn't notice at all, until we arrived at our campsite on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore, and I wanted some shade. If you look closely at this picture, you'll see that shade was no longer an option.


The arms are there, but, no awning. I can only hope that when it came off, it didn't cause any damage to anyone's property, or worse, injure someone. But we spent most of our trip on small two-lane country highways, with very few other vehicles, and nobody tried to catch up to us, so I can only assume it fell harmlessly to the side of the road. We went back the same way and, although I scanned for it the entire trip, I never saw any signs of it.

When the awning came off, it also took off the top of my refrigerator vent cover. The original was plastic, yellowing, and in poor shape, especially since the hail storm a year ago damaged it. You can see it in this photo:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiz24AATsWxS_aJAydqqPZhb4icbf4-exaD9SO1aoIXVYyFQOdnbuZXtwqKOWNrUGHxEB4fzQBdLSFF0Y0tpHPtmY2Bix5OTNntFxStDqt4qxIjiDRb5yO4kY-AYFQOMVFkH2V1pJGgq6g/s400/100_5813.jpg


This is what was left, and it was not in great shape.

But I cleaned it up, made some repairs with a screen mesh over the top, painted it silver, and then riveted on a universal aluminum replacement cover that I think actually looks much better than the original.


But I still had the problem of needing some shade. Luckily, Frank, Rob, and John had an excellent recommendation-- a vintage awning hand-made by a fabulous seamstress named Marti, who had made awnings for all of them as well. She did a fantastic job and had it to me in just over two weeks from the day I ordered it. I couldn't be happier with the quality, Marti is a true professional.

So, armed with our new vintage awning for shade, we happily stayed on for another weekend of camping on Lake Austin. After last weekend's post, I realized we didn't get many pictures of our actual camping. This is our campsite with the water just behind us.


Dylan and his BFF Austin:


The kids on the "beach"


Then back out on the water. The little kids snacking on the boat:


And the big kids snacking in the water:


The lake is very popular on Memorial Day Weekend.


Dylan had a great time, he loves the water. His mom does, too.

Then on Sunday, we had the family out for some Memorial Day grilling.






We had a great time. Thanks to everyone who came out and shared in the food and fun with us!


Oh-- and does anyone need a set of awning arms? They're in great shape...

2 comments:

TomW said...

It looks like fun was had by all. You and your wife are building great memories with your kids.

That had to be tough losing the awning. I came close to losing mine one time - A couple years ago, when we pulled off the road for lunch, I heard an unusal noise. Somehow, the awning's forward, lateral support had popped out, and was dragging the ground. It was fortunate that I heard something was up. No significant damage, thankfully, occured.

Tom

Sugarfoot said...

Marcus, the new rope and pole awning looks great!