...and I have one too.
Mine is the dynamic 1-2 punch of my Seamstress and Custom Upholsterer-- aka my Mom and Dad. I took this picture a couple of months ago, when we were out shopping for fabrics for the twin beds. Since then, my Secret Weapon team has been extremely busy in my sweat shop... err, I mean... the upholstery supply house. You see, I've also had my Mom busy making baby curtains and blankets, too, but that's another blog post.
Just for reference, here's some before pictures of the twin beds as I received them:


The 5" high density foam was in great shape, and very comfortable too. But the mattress covers were dingy and torn, and needed to be replaced.
Since I had created curved beds, first I had to cut the corners of the foam. Then, my mom cut and sewed all of the fabric. I chose a soft celery color in microfiber, and an edge-welt piping in a grayish-purplish textured twill.
The microfiber is a hard-wearing upholstery fabric, but my Dad found that it gripped the foam really tightly as he slipped it on. So, he came up with the ingenuous idea of covering the foam in plastic to help it slide easier, using inexpensive drop cloths.
And, the cover slipped right on.
My Seamstress also thoughtfully included a zipper on each, so the covers can be removed and washed.
The final product:
They look amazing!
I also ordered my sweat shop... that is, upholstery supplier... to create two small bolsters to be used as back rests on the twin beds. They also have another purpose to be revealed at a later date. For this, I had to buy new foam, and my Dad carefully measured and marked, then cut it with an electric carving knife.
These are pretty much a reverse of the twin bed mattress covers, with the twill on the front and back, and the celery microfiber used for welting and the side-banding. More complete shots to come...
I can not thank my Mom and Dad enough-- you two have really delivered so far beyond my dreams, I love the cushions. Thanks!

3 comments:
Looks great!
I love the mom and dad theme running through the Airstream restoration world this month. The upholstery looks great and so do the finished walls in your other post. I was wondering what you were planning to do with those. Congratulations on getting it done before the baby arrives!
There's nothing like talented parents. Especially loving willing ones. It always means more when it's a family project. :-)
Post a Comment