Here's a shot to show the interior shelves removed, with access all the way to the floor:
I've also been working on the plumbing, and I'm happy to say that, aside from some minor work on hose routing and some assorted tie-downs, the entire trailer is completely plumbed, both fresh water and drains.
Galley sink from below:
And, much like the picture of a person standing on the ground while inside their trailer, I think another classic renovation shot is the first time water is running after a long absence-- in my case, about 8 months:
Here's the vanity from below.
I liked the idea of using the red and blue PEX to indicate hot and cold lines, but didn't want to buy TWO 50'coils just to get two colors, knowing the entire trailer re-plumb would use significantly less than 50'. So, I bought one 50' coil of white PEX, and used some very inexpensive red and blue electrical tape to mark the different colors. I saved myself over $20, and I only have 20 feet of extra PEX lying around, instead of 70 feet or so...
And, of course, with water running:
I spoke a BIT prematurely saying all of the plumbing was "done" as the tub plumbing can't be completed until the wardrobe is in place. Originally, the tub/shower mixer was located on the side of the vanity, but I wanted to be able to place the shower head at the highest point, rather than along the curve of the rear dome, so I moved the plumbing to the wardrobe wall. Once the wardrobe is in place, the faucet/mixer will poke through the tall wardrobe wall, and there will be a low hook for filling the tub, and a high hook for taking a shower.
And, with the running water:
Yes, perhaps most importantly, this works, too:

4 comments:
Cool! It must be a good feeling to have water running through it's "veins" again. And I love what you did with the vanity.
I remember when running water was reintroduced to my Overlander:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113860&postcount=132
It's a great feeling, isn't it?
Tom
Thanks D, I'm glad you like it! My wife is pretty happy with it, too, and when Mama's happy... :)
Tom-- Yes, it's one of those milestones isn't it? I suppose the only one really left for us now is the "sleeping on actual beds in the trailer rather than an air mattress, with clothes and other items actually packed in drawers and overheads, rather than duffel bags on the floor." That will be a cool milestone too I think.
Thanks for pointing me to that thread by the way, it's really neat to see a time capsule of what you, and Tim, and other Forum "oldies" were doing several years ago. And it's also about the closest thing you have to a chronological blog for your trailer renovation I suppose?
-Marcus
Yes, I had not realized that thread had a chronological listing of my Airstream's refurb.
The forum was significantly smaller back then, and that thread got a lot of traffic. A lot of those posters have now moved on. :-(
FWIW, my Peruvian quartz-stone floor still looks great in spite of the guru's dire prediction. :-)
Tom
Post a Comment