Ha! I've been dying to use that quote, and now seemed as good a time as any.
What do you do when a functional requirement seems to mess up the clean lines of your design? Well, whatever you do, it looks better in rich mahogany.
We won't always deploy Superbed, but right now, since our children are still small and in diapers, we won't be blocking the aisle if we do decide to use Superbed. We've also been couped up in the Airstream through several thundershowers on our various camping trips so far, and I can imagine a time when we might want our whole family to be able to snuggle up on Superbed and watch movies whilst waiting out a storm.
So I developed the idea of using two long cleats down the side of each twin bed, to support a plywood platform, where a couple of bolster cushions could be moved in to cover the center of the bed, and make the entire thing into Superbed. This is actually quite similar to the design of many dinettes, I simply applied it to the twins. The main problem with the cleats, for me, was an aesthetic one. I loved the clean lines of the curved beds. But, the cleats were necessary, so I bought a nice piece of solid mahogany, and ripped it down into a couple of 3/4" thick cleats that run the length of each bed.
But before installing them, I had to finish some trim work on the beds. This photo also shows the drawer hardware I used, matching the hardware on the the vanity.
Right below the metal trim, in the photo above, you can see the mahogany cleat. Another shot, showing both twins:
The bedroom as it normally sits:
And now, with Superbed deployed:
Just a bit more trim work, installation of the curtains, and she will be done. For the time being, anyway...

4 comments:
Wow, Marcus, that really looks great.
OK, now you realize when your wife said she was sad you two could not sleep together, well, she was lying? You snore and she probably hopes you just fall asleep in your tailgate chair outside under the canopy. Mary just wanted a bigger bed to use for herself. This also blocks the bathroom for herself. You did good, but she suckered you on that one.
Looks good!
Where do you store the plywood filler when not in use?
Thanks Greg and Dave.
Since it is slightly shorter than the twin beds, and narrower than the twin beds, the plywood filler sits underneath one of the twin mattresses. Or, potentially both-- I'm actually considering using two 1/2" thick filler sections stacked on top of each other, instead of the single 3/4" section I have now, to make them lighter and easier for Mary to maneuver. Also, it could be less noticeable underneath you when stored if they are thinner, though I've tested it and honestly can't really feel the 3/4" section under the 5" high density foam mattress as it is right now.
-Marcus
Superbed rocks! I'm really jealous.
Oh, and my Minuet smells of 1970s Airstream. I guess that's better than "mouse" or "smoke".
-Tom
Post a Comment