"Don’t stop. Keep right on going. Hitch up your trailer and go to Canada or down to Old Mexico. Head for Europe, if you can afford it, or go to the Mardi Gras. Go someplace you’ve heard about, where you can fish or hunt or collect rocks or just look up at the sky. Find out what’s at the end of some country road. Go see what’s over the next hill, and the one after that, and the one after that."
As it turns out, I've discovered that these Airstreams aren't just made for looking cool in your driveway, and raising your neighbors' property values. No, apparently, they can also be used for camping. So, having learned that, I decided to take my family, meet some friends, and do as Wally Byam instructed.
So last weekend, we headed out to a nearby private camping grounds called Krause Springs. It's about 35 miles west of Austin, and I'd been there as a kid but just for the swimming hole. Now I know that the place has some nice camping, too. We drove out Friday afternoon and got there just in time to set up camp before dark. We met our friends Greg and Denise and their daughter, with their 1972 Winnebago Indian, as well as our friends Dave and Sharon and their 4 kids, and their Dutchmen travel trailer.
It was very windy most of the weekend. This is my Airstream, and "Dutchie" next to it.
A shot of the Airstream and Greg's 'bago "Fandango":
The menfolk cooking breakfast in "Kitchen Stadium."
Between 4 lbs of bacon, 1 lb of chorizo, two dozen eggs, and a couple lbs of potato and chile hash, the women and children voted that we were ALL winners.
We hiked around and saw the creek and swimming hole, just as I remembered it from my childhood.
McKenzie was less interested in the Longhorn victory, and more interested in playing blocks with her BFFs Abbie and Bailey-- they were VERY patient in teaching her the shapes.
And there was still more wind.
We had a great time, many thanks to Greg and Denise and Dave and Sharon and all of the kids for sharing this weekend with us. I've just begun the process of tearing apart the rear end of the trailer for a frame-up restoration of the back half, and these memories will help tide me over until we're camping again.
Adios!

2 comments:
I love that old Winnie. Is it restored? Sweet rig. Oh, by the way, your Airstream looks great. You sure you want to tear it apart?
Hey John, my friend Greg's Winnie is not restored, it is in original, unmolested condition. The engine and drivetrain have had work done, but the exterior and interior are completely original. It's beautiful!
Greg's blog is linked from mine, and I've asked him to post some interior pictures. You'll be shocked at how great the "groovy" original interior looks.
As for mine, thanks, it really does look great and I'm thankful for that. But as you know, there is floor rot and frame rot in the rear that I can not let go unchecked.
Now, get back to work on your own!
-Marcus
Post a Comment