Sorry no pictures on this one, but this is a "working post." I'm making preparations for a great deal of work that I'm about to perform. I want to be as detailed as possible in my preparations, in order to avoid "waiting time" for parts/fasteners that I didn't realize I'd need and/or forgot to acquire. I'll have a week off work at Thanksgiving, and I want to get as much work done as possible during that time.
The major project at hand is the removal of the old, rotten subfloor at the rear of the trailer, and the replacement with fresh plywood. While I have the floor out, I will also repair any frame damage (I know of at least one rusted-out cross-member at the very back) and I will paint all exposed areas of the frame with a heavy-duty rust-preventing paint called POR-15. I also intend to install a gray tank among the frame rails, below the subfloor. This became an RV standard for Airstream around 1974, but my 1963 Overlander is only equipped with a black tank that sits above the floor and under the "throne." I'm okay with that, but I'd kick myself if I didn't add a gray tank amongst the frame members while I have the chance.
So here is a list of materials that I expect I will need, and I'm open to suggestions from the public regarding anything I might have missed.
Demolition:
Circular saw - For cutting floor longitudinally
Sawzall - For cutting old ebolts and for cutting floor where circsaw can't reach
Dremel Tool - For cutting ebolts and other various odd jobs
Vise grips - For breaking off the weakest ebolts from below
Shears - For cutting belly pan (I have tin snips, should I get air shears for this?)
Drill and bits - For drilling out rivets
Construction:
4x8 sheets of plywood-- I'm debating ACX versus MGP and am open to suggestions
Epoxy -- For sealing plywood edges (I've also seen vulkem used, any thoughts on that?)
Varathane/Polyurethane - For sealing top and bottom of plywood
Elevator bolts - 100 or so of them
Hex nuts for elevator bolts -- 100 or so of them
POR15 - 1 quart black, 1 quart silver, metal ready and marine clean prep
New steel -- For rusted out x-members and gray tank support/restraining flanges
Gray tank - I'm debating size, placement, etc. and am open to suggestions
New C-channel -- Quantity depends on condition of current channel
Floor leveling compound
Finish top-flooring
That's what I have off the top of my head. I'm completely open to suggestions and comments from those who have been there and done that.
Cheers!
Airstream Airbnb - Miss Penelope
2 years ago

4 comments:
Marcus, you can plan all you want but you are really going to have to just get in there. I think your list is very complete, but the thing you do not have on your list is time. Everything will take longer than you expect and a full week does not amount to much in the big picture. You goals are good, I hope you achieve them for my own selfish reason of seeing you at CBR. Just be flexible in your attack so that you can recover from the minor and major setbacks that might occur.
This looks like an excellent project. It looks like I may need to replace my water pump this fall so that project may turn into a complete plumbing overhaul. I have two metal tanks and copper pipes from 1972 so I think I can save some weight and get modern parts that are easier to maintain if I make the plunge. We will have to keep notes.
Marcus - Glad to see that you've finally moderated the cerveza long enough to get back to your Overlander, who must have felt neglected. Good luck with your progress and keep up the posting. I'm following your work & getting good ideas.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Drinking beer for charity is a tough job-- a task I wouldn't wish on anybody.
Still, any time you'd like to join us, you know where to find us.
Now, how about some updates on YOUR "new" acquisition? :)
-Marcus
Post a Comment