Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Shiny, Happy Frame

After getting the trailer back from the welder last week, I've spent my time cutting the plywood and treating it. As you can tell, there is nothing left of the curve on either side, which is why it was critical that I create the template before removing the old subfloor from the trailer.



On the bottom, I used two coats of Thompson's water seal. Hopefully that will help keep out the water from below at least a little bit. For the edges, I sealed with Minwax wood hardener. It is a solvent-based sealer that is designed to penetrate the wood and leave resins embedded in the substrate as the solvents evaporate. It did make the edges of the plywood very hard and sealed them up pretty well.


So far, I haven't used anything to prep the top of the plywood subfloor. I know that during their restorations, some people have prepped with several coats of polyurethane, some people have used Thompson's or Olympic water seal for the top as well, and some people use nothing at all. Since I plan to put glue-down vinyl tiles over the top, I'm concerned that any choice of top-coating might interfere with the tile adhesive's ability to bond the tiles to the floor. I'm open to suggestions from anyone with ideas, or experience, along these lines. Thanks in advance! :)

Next I prepped the frame with wire wheels on my drill and wire brushes to get into nooks and crannies. I knocked off all the loose rust I could find, and then treated the bumper and frame with Marine Clean, treated the new steel with Metal Ready, and finally painted the bumper and frame with two coats of POR15.




Next steps include top-coating the bumper and other external parts with Stirling Silver, and then fitting the plywood into the trailer. After that it's time to bolt down the floor to the frame and outriggers. That's thinking far enough ahead for me for now, I've got a TON of work to do! :)

12 comments:

silverhobby said...

Just an hour a day, helps to complete a task. Keep plugging, I'ts looking great.

HKEM said...

AWSOME work MC.
You've been a busy guy. I'm not a flooring expert, but can't imagine that it would hurt or particularly help to put some coating on the plywood. Let's see what the "Expert" renovators have to say...
Good Job... Dddy0

Rob Baker, Plymouth, NY said...

Marcus, it's looking really good. A gray frame won't win you the Concourse d'Elegance...

I'm kidding!

I'd treat the outer 1 foot all the way around (it'll be covered up anyway with all the stuff you have to install on top) with Thompson's for peace of mind... and I doubt it will react with anything you use to glue down the adhesives. If you are that worried about it, take a piece of plywood right now, treat it, let it dry and then get some adhesive and try a piece out.

utee94 said...

Thanks sh, sometimes it's hard to get even an hour in, but my wife has been incredibly patient and understanding! :)

Glad you like it Dad... say.. what are you doing this weekend? Ha!

Rob-- That's a good idea. Since my flooring is now on backorder apparently, I have some time to perform some tests.

Tim (ts8501) said...

Very nice work, very nice. My idea for wood treatment is to use a Latex Based primer and/or paint. The other treatment options mentioned are exterior application options, so I would be concerned with long term vapor issues in the interior. A low VOC Latex would not have harmful vapors, and would keep any moisture from penatrating the wood. I think it would also work with the adhesives for the flooring. Just another idea for you.
-Tim

Rob Baker, Plymouth, NY said...

The more I look at those pictures, the more I love that wood grained tile floor that this had in it! I hope you go with something like that in your restoration.... just kidding Marcus.... now, on your floor install, will you put one sheet all the way across in the back, or cut it in half to install it and do a California joint?

utee94 said...

No California Joint for this one, Rob. It will be installed as one piece, even if it kills me!

the byamcaravanner said...

Marcus,
Looks great! I'm curious how you are going maneuver those floor pieces into place with the banana wraps and the wheelwells still in place.

Good Luck!

Shaka said...

Nice progress Marcus! It's looking great. We missed you while camping this last week. We had a good time in Bastrop. Need to get you involved in Spring Break camping trip plans. With your rate of progress it looks like you will be finished soon.

Anonymous said...

Marcus... that frame is too pretty to cover up. Scrap the wood. Thick sheets of Lexan will do the trick. Saves on floor covering as well! The kid will love watching the mice make habit trails in the insulation... what's not to like??

Kidding!

Speaking of flooring... what are you looking at? Insulation?
How cool to have your Dad read your blog!
Marc

Aluminium Idler said...

Hi Marcus
Thanks for your comment on my Fiftythree Flying Cloud blog. And thanks for your blog & the great photos - I'm a little behind you in the old restoration game, so its a real help to see how everyone else does things (even if your 63 is s little different from my 53).
I've decided to lift the frame off the chassis as the frame needs rather more work & all the floor is shot - wish me luck & all the best for 2009 from the UK.
Chris

utee94 said...

Marc-- For the flooring, I'm going to use 12x12 VCT (vinyl composition tile) in a charcoal color. It's as close as I can get to the original 9x9 VAT (vinyl asbestos tile) that was the original flooring for the trailer.

Right now, I don't think I'm planning on insulating the bottom. It just seems like a major weakness, with the insulation acting as a sponge holding in any moisture that gets in there. From the rust pattern on the old frame, I can tell that a large part of my frame rot was a result of wet insulation, rather than water coming from above.