Monday, December 1, 2008

Quick Additional Note

One thing I meant to note about the deconstruction of the rear end of the trailer, because others might find this information useful, is that the first thing I attempted to take out was the tub. But I met severe resistance when trying to use the special drain wrench to turn the drain out of the cast p-trap. A previous owner had put a huge amount of silicone caulk around the drain, but I was able to cut that out fairly easily. So I became worried that someone had used permanent adhesive to attach the drain to the cast trap, and that I would have to break the trap, or worse, break the tub, in order to remove it.

But, as is often the case, my good Airstream buddy Frank gave me the perfect piece of advice. He told me, "Rookie, what you need to do is get a heat gun pointed at the drain/trap junction from below, and then hit it with the wrench from above." Since I have such a handy and convenient rotten hole through the floor, right under the tub, I was able to perform both operations from the top-side myself. And sure enough, after about 20-30 seconds of heat, I torqued on the drain one more time with the drain wrench, and it easily turned all the way out. I used a very low-heat heat gun, but it would also be a good idea to use something to shield the fiberglass around the drain if your heat gun is quite hot.

So, thanks Frank!

4 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

I also said to cut out a heat shield the same size as the trap so that the heat gun does not damage the fiberglass. When using a harbor freight heat gun it is not necessary for it only gets to about 85 degrees.

Greg Dvorak said...

Marcus, great work! Keep it up, keep doing your great preplanning and you just deal with what doesn't go as planned.

BTW, thanks to everyone who have been sending nice comments about "Fandango". I have put pics of the interior on my blog which is linked from this site. ps: ou sux!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That's some good advise Marcus! I think my wife's air gun for embossing would work when I need to pull mine!

On another subject.. Yeah for Greg! Thanks for updating his blog... (I'm posting here because I can't there). Re his spongy brakes.. one idea is that the brake fluid may be really old.. after use, the old brake fluid boils out moisture, which would create air in the lines.. which creates a spongy pedal. Try flushing the lines out... also, old rubber gives.. so maybe new lines wouldn't be such a bad idea. That MH is immaculate.. was it stored undercover?
Marc

Greg Dvorak said...

Marc,
Thanks for the comments on the brakes. That is what I was hoping because the other options are likely a problem with the master cylinder or one/both of the hydrovacs.

I fixed the settings on my blog so please feel free to post your comments there as well.